Wednesday, May 5, 2010

So Yeah...

I suck! I haven't been working out since my last post. So I'm pretty much screwed... I will never lose the weight that I want. I will never be super awesome. I guess I will have to deal with it. I would start up again, but.. who am I kidding I suck. Besides if I start now in about a month I won't be able to continue for a while.

For those of you that don't know I will be having hip surgery. Now, I'm not looking for sympathy (Phoenix), just stating a fact. I apparently have a cam lesion on my right hip.

FAI - Femoroacetabular Impingement

What is It?

  • FAI s is a recently understood hip condition which describes a mechanical mismatch between the ‘ball’ and the ‘socket’ of the hip
  • There are two described types of impingement:
    • Cam’ type impingement describes a ‘bump’ on the surface of the femoral head (ball) which jams on the rim of the (acetabulum) socket
      This typically affects younger athletic men (common)

    What are the Symptoms

  • FAI often presents as hip and groin pain with restricted range of hip movements.
  • Symptom onset can be acute, following injury, or insidious after prolonged exertion. It is generally not disabling, except in sporting activity.
  • ‘Payback pain’ after participating in sporting activity is common
  • Pain is primarily felt deep in the groin at the front of the hip, more rarely it can be on the side of the hip or the buttock.
  • Movements can be restricted particularly high flexing and trying to cross the legs.
  • Pain is often provoked by these manoeuvres, by exercise, or by attempted return to sport and relieved by rest and inactivity.

So I recently had a CT scan and 2 MRIs. I meet with my doctor on Monday to talk about the scans and surgery. My hope is to get have the surgery next month so that my recoup time is only during the summer and then be all set to go when school starts up again.

So yeah that's that. I suck.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think you suck. I think your hip sucks. FAI - you suck! Get off my friend's hip, you hip sucker!

    :) Will you get flowers for the surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever - you don't suck. I suck...9 months preggo and can't walk around a block without having to sit down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear, but hope things are improving post-op...lots of information and support at http://hippreservation.org/

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete