Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Surgery!

So yes, it is set. I will be having surgery. On June 8th I will be having my very first surgery. I met with my doctor yesterday and he looked over my CT scan and my MRI scans and decided that yes in deed I do have a CAM lesion on my right hip.
The surgery should only take about an hour to an hour and a half. He will be doing an arthroscopic surgery. First he will put my right leg in traction so that it doesn't move around during the procedure, followed by my left leg for good measure (to balance it out). Then he will drill anywhere from 3 to 5 holes in my right hip and leg to have a look around. Once he can assess the extent of the damage, if there is any besides the lesion, he will shave off the lesion and that will be that. It's that simple.
After the surgery I will be put in a post-op room to wake up and then they will assess my level of pain. If it's not too extreme and I can manage it well I will be sent home (usually 4-5 hours after). If it's not manageable I will have to stay overnight.
Once home I have to stay off my leg for 48 hours. This should be easy to do with a 2 1/2 year old and a new born. After the two days I will be on crutches for the next 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks are up I should be back to walking unassisted. During this entire time and for the next couple of months I will be required to do physical therapy.
My doctor seems pretty cool. He wanted to get my surgery in early enough that I would be off the crutches by the time I needed to start summer school. Which is something I was worried about because if I couldn't do summer school I wouldn't have any income. If I didn't have any type of income this summer we would be out a couple thousand dollars. So this seems to have worked out well. Thank God summer school is only half days though.

1 comment:

  1. You need to update this as your surgery is on the 3rd!

    ReplyDelete